Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 3 of 365: Working Class Hero


This is the building I work in. This is where I spend 42.5 hours of my life a week. The place is MUCH larger than this.....this photo just shows the nursing home.

And yes, for those of you that don't know, I work in a nursing home. I'm an activities assistant, a.k.a. "the activities bitch" because I'm skooted here, there, and everywhere half the time. But, I DO get enjoyment out of my job. Working with Alzheimer's and dementia patients is quite different. But despite it being a different sort of job, I see the same people every day, and I do the same things every day. Life right now is boring. I'm ready for a change (although, I'd like to work in a nursing home in England once Ian and I get moved and settled).

There are some good stories though with my residents. Like, for example, yesterday a woman said "Take your pants off and get on with it," to me....which was quite funny at the time. I have those you have to be there to understand moments every day.

But, it is tiring; pushing wheelchairs everywhere, lifting old people that are, unfortunately, dead weight, and dealing with the emotional part of the job is stressful. THIS building is why I'm so tired all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment