Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 92 of 365: Work Work Work, Senora, Work it All the Time

Looked up on the internet to find out how I get my National Insurance Number, or NI Number for short.

In order to work in England, you need to have one of these for tax purposes.

So, I phoned the office, and freaky thing about it is, I was already in the computer! The woman I spoke with said that once you enter the country on a visa that allows you to work, the Job Services office is notified. They just sort of hang back until you contact them, I suppose.

Buuutt...I qualified for a mail in application (some people have to go and interview in order to apply), so I should be receiving my application in the post within the next week.


Then I can work (eventually). Still no word yet on a job, buuuttt, then again, I haven't even been living in England for a week yet.

1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know you can work without a NI Number. They will have you on a different tax bracket while you are waiting for the NI Number but you do not have to have one to work only the Spousal Visa that you have in your passport. Anyway the first £5000 that you earn is not taxed anyway so it doesn't matter if you are on a different tax bracket for a little while. :)